J. A. Clark & Son

Independent Family Funeral Directors

What to do when someone dies

When someone dies at home, please contact their GP's surgery to arrange for a doctor to attend. Once the death has been certified you should then contact us so we can make the necessary arrangements to move the deceased in to our care.

The death of a person should be registered within five days normally in the jurisdiction where the death occurred and ideally needs to be registered by a relative or executor. However, for those living some distance away and not able to travel immediately, then the process may be done 'by declaration'. Please contact us should you require further information about this service.

A sudden or unexpected death, or if the doctor is uncertain of the cause, may be referred to the local Coroner's Office. You can still make contact with us for advice.

If death occurs in hospital then the bereavement office will contact you and advise you when to collect the cause of death certificate and give you details of the Registry Office so a suitable appointment can be made.



Hendon Town Hall
The Burroughs
Tel: 020 8359 6400
Monday - Friday 8.30 am - 5pm
Saturday 9am - 4pm

Traditional family values of trust and care are the bedrock of the unique and individual way each funeral and bereaved family are served by us